19 April 2006

 

SPORT: World Cup Winner Wager Notions



To hoist noble, to enrich backers divine.









B
razil is the favorite to win this summer's soccer World Cup. They come in at about 3 to 1. Not bad odds for a Brazil team. But I put no money on the favorite this year.

Then come England at about 6 to 1. No thank you. For wear and tear reasons, I do not see them hoisting sterling this year.

Then in a clump of about 8/9 to 1 come Germany, Argentina and Italy. Here is where my money starts sweating with excitement. For it feels like I am basking under a beautiful sun in gorgeous Milan.

Yes, I love Italy and all things Italian, especially their defensive ferocity. So I am unfurling a moist stack of lira on Italy to win. At 9 to 1 they are a very attractive investment indeed.

Italy has a lot of great fundamentals that win championships. The defense I mentioned, but also players from a world class league, playing in Europe where they play well and do not forget that notorious Italian flair for dramatic finishes on large stages.

So I back Italy in bulk. But as I was scanning down the also-rans I noticed something. The U.S. is 80/100 to 1 to win this summer's World Cup. Why such long odds on a team recently ranked 5th in the world by FIFA?

I can think of a couple reasons that have to do with talent, and this from a U.S. soccer fan. But I really see U.S. as more as a 40/50 to 1 shot. Perhaps the long odds reflect a desire to get American bettors to take a chance on the home side.

Anyway, if you can get 80/100 to 1 on the Imperialist Yankee Dogs (who picked that as the U.S. soccer team's nickname?) I think there is voodoo in the air that justifies throwing a little fun time money on a long shot from Boise, Idaho (or rather the country that contains Boise, Idaho.)


###

Comments:
There are a couple Korean players who play for the big name club teams. There's a Korean kid on Manchester United, quite good.

I just looked at who Korea plays in the group stage. Not too tough. They might get into the knockout round. That would be a succesful tournament for them.
 
It is just funner to do than stuff you suck at.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home
RSS Spirit

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?